Nasty Little Thoughts

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Food funnies

A while back my sister and I drove over to our local Popeye's for some spicy cajun style fried chicken. As we pulled into the drive-thru, we noticed that the menu was all dark. So we pulled on up to the window to let someone know that the lights were out.

"Our menu was stolen," the worker informed us. What?

"Last night, some kids took our sign and our menu."

Sure enough, as we drove away, we noticed a definite lack of identifying signage. But the question that weighed heavily upon my mind...What does one do with a stolen Popeye's menu?

Another time, we decided to order pizza since noone was really in the mood to cook. I called our neighborhood Pizza Hut. "Yes, I'd like to place an order for delivery," I said and when I proceeded to order a large pepperoni with extra cheese I was interrupted.

"We ran out of crust."

WHAT? "You're Pizza Hut. How can you run out of crust?"

"They only make so many crusts each day."

"Well don't you think you should make some more?"

"The one's who make the crust have already gone home."

So I called Domino's instead.

And yet another time I called out for pizza, "Yes, I'd like to place an order for delivery."

"We can't do that; the driver didn't show up."

So you don't have a backup driver?

Once I even went to an upscale seafood place and ordered shrimp gumbo. When I sent it back, the waitress wanted to know what was wrong.

"Gumbo," I explained as I stirred the clear broth bringing one lone little shrimp to the surface, "gumbo is not hot water with a shrimp in it. Gumbo should have vegetables, onions, tomotoes, okra, spices....This is just hot shrimp water."

"The owner knows gumbo. And likes this gumbo. We've been complimented as one of the best gumbos in town."

"I grew up on the Louisiana border and was weaned on cajun food. And let me tell you, that aint gumbo."

"Would you like something else?" No, not really. I just want what I ordered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home