Nasty Little Thoughts

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Time for some spring cleaning

I got an invitation via email from a friend to join the networking site Hi5. Never having heard of the site, I clicked the link to check it out. Everything appeared on the up and up and I registered. To my surprise, I found I had some other friends in the system.

That's when it got ugly.

Hi5 read my address book and sent an email to everyone in it. Even my ex and his new psycho wife. Why do I think she's psycho? Gee, I dunno....perhaps because she dated him for 3 years, all the while knowing he was dating me? Maybe because she took it upon herself to contact me and inform me of their upcoming nuptials?

Why was he still in my address book? That's a valid question for which I don't have a good answer.

Maybe I hung onto it in the hopes he'd come back? Not likely; he's now got psycho wife

Maybe I kept it in case of an emergency? It's been almost 2 years since the breakup, so any threat of disease or pregnancy has passed.

Could it have been a sentimental souvenir? We had met online when he answered my ad in Yahoo. I think it was some kind of revenge against his first psycho wife who had left him for internet buddies she made in Utah.

Was it a power trip to know I had his info at my disposal? And it was one tiny piece of him they couldn't make me relinquish? Now we're getting somewhere.

But it's pathetic really.

And now, thanks to Hi5, I'm getting emails from all these people from my past who are asking "Trisa, do I know you?" Funny thing is, they're accepting the networking invitation and signing up themselves.

Beware, people, beware. All of you who got an email from me, ignore it. Sign up at your own risk. Unless you feel the need to reach out and touch everybody you've ever known. Then, by all means, slap 'em a Hi5.

I guess like my closet, which I purge of items periodically, it's time to clean things out and get rid of all contacts I haven't used in the last year. I'll make a ritual of it, kind of like on "Survivor" when the castaways reminisce while taking a walk down a torch strewn beach. As I examine each entry, I can silently acknowledge the good I've gleaned from this person, the ways my life has been enriched...or not.

And then I'll hit delete.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home