Nasty Little Thoughts

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Good help is hard to find

A recent boom in enrollment has left the preschool where I work scrambling to hire the appropriate staff. My boss posted a "Help Wanted" ad in 3 local publications, and for the last 2 weeks, I have been fielding calls about the job and answering inane questions. So in an effort to make life easier at work, here's my special list of FAQ's. Please read these over before you apply.

"I don't have a social security number. Will that be a problem?" Yes, that will be a problem. You have to pay taxes and how is that tracked? Through your social security number, of course. You also do have the burden of proving that you are legally allowed to work in the United States.

"I don't have a copy of my GED. Will that be a problem?" Hell yes, that will be a problem. The state of Texas has mandated certain requirements for those working with children, namely that they be over 18 and have a high school diploma or a GED. I realize you are 40 years old, but I can't overlook the state's requirements.

"....Wod sdfjdroo job aldfoe pre qaeof[[ paper...?" Huh? Generally speaking, you have to be able to communicate with the children. If you can't make yourself understood in English, a job in an English speaking school is not for you.

"Do I have to come and fill out the application?" Only if you want the job.

"Are y'all really hiring? I don't want to come down there and waste my time." Nobody's worried about wasting my time. Really, we're not hiring, but smile for the camera cuz you've been punked!

"I can't work before 9:35 and can't work past 9:37 and I demand a 2 hour lunch break. Is that doable?" Let me see what I can do. Nope sorry, that doesn't meet my needs. Might I suggest a home based business like Mary Kay where you are your own boss and can set your own hours?

"I can't work this Tuesday or any Thursday for the next 6 months because I have a personal life. Is that okay?" Sure, we'll just close the school on those days to accommodate your schedule. The parents would love to spend that extra time with their children.

"Well my other job paid me $200 an hour. Can you match that?" What are you smoking? You should have stayed at your other job.

"I don't have any references, can I still apply?" Yes you can. But I can't hire you. I need to speak to 3 people who have employed you, preferrably in a child care setting, but I will also accept volunteer work, church work and private babysitting references. Surely on this big planet of ours are 3 people who can vouch for you.

What do you think? Are we being too selective? These are only the people who will be raising your children in your absence..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home