Nasty Little Thoughts

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Good help is still hard to find

I called one of our better applicants yesterday and asked if she could come in today because we wanted to get her started and needed to fill out the paperwork and start the pre-employment training. She came in, on time, filled out the papers and started reading the employee handbook.

After an hour or so, she came to me to ask, "Is it okay if I come back tomorrow? I have another interview and I have to be there at 5:00."

My jaw it the floor and I countered with, "You have another job interview? You don't want want to work here?"

"Yeah, I do, but they called me yesterday."

What has me totally astounded is, if she didn't want the job, or if she wanted to check out the other job, why did she agree to come in and start? Why fill out all those forms and read coma inducing manuals when you want to do something else?

And this isn't the only weirdness I've encountered since the our hiring blitz began. Witness the girl who started a couple weeks ago. She was late a couple times, but she was good. Until she just didn't show up. No call, no show.

And then there was the girl who transferred from another location. She went on break and never came back. Wonder where she went for lunch, Fiji?

When you are offered the job you applied for, ask yourself, "Do I really want this job? Do I want to make an honest living and pay my way? Or do I want to continue to mooch off state welfare system?" If your answer is the latter, take a page from Nancy Reagan's book and just say no.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home