Nasty Little Thoughts

Monday, February 28, 2005

My first felon.

After being dumped, a co-worker decided to introduce me to some guys. He and his posse came to "rescue" me in his wife's Suzuki Sidekick. When they got to the house, it was like watching a clown car at the circus. First my friend Paul, who is a BIG guy, then his friends, a 6 foot plus drug using plumber, a petite immature barely legal James Coney Island worker (he looked all of 15), and then Paul's brother-in-law Con.

Con had been crashing on Paul and Nicole's air mattress and in a rare instance of employment, was working at a shipping service. He was telling me about his time spent in boot camp, the maneuvers, the workouts, the antics in the mess hall, when he mentioned he'd gotten into an altercation with the drill instructor and was given 2 minutes to finish his entire meal. As the drill sargeant was yelling and barking insults at him, and he was shoveling food into his mouth, cheeks bulging with food, trying to chew and swallow without choking, Con decided to hell with all this, became belligerant and totally non-compliant, and got himself kicked out of boot camp the day before graduation.

I listened to the saga, totally incensed at the unfair treatment my 23 year old beau of the moment had received. "What branch of the military did you say you had joined?"

His reply, "I never said I joined the military. I went to boot camp and when I got kicked out I went to prison."

I was dating a convicted felon. Maybe it wasn't that bad. Maybe it was a little felony.

"What did you serve time for?"

"Theft. Grand larceny."

Seems he'd helped himself to several computer systems from a major utilities company and had been turned in to the police by his ex. He also was running scams at his shipping job, getting all sorts of stuff for free, but I won't divulge the details here.

A month or so after I met him, Con decided to go visit his dad in Beaumont. "Call me when you get back," I said.

"I might."

He never called, and as it turns out, never came back. Paul and Nicole were nearly evicted from their apartment due to Con's prolonged (in violation of their lease) stay. They told him he had to go and he took off to Daddy's and wasn't about to tell me the truth, thinking he could stop by and get a little something-something whenever he was in town.

Con packed his questionably acquired belongings into his faded red-orange Geo Metro and disappeared.

After a stint living with his mom and still not being able to secure a job with his felony record, Con moved back to town to live with the ex that turned him in to the police in the first place.
Now she's his sugar daddy and he's her bitch.

Can I pick 'em or what?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home