Nasty Little Thoughts

Friday, February 18, 2005

Norman Bates has nothing on this place

I spent last night at a neighborhood hotel, not a skanky, flea-ridden hole-in-the-wall, but a nationally known chain. What follows is the letter of complaint I sent to management.

To Whom It May Concern:

I moved to discover my lights not on in the new place and thought, no big deal, there's a hotel down the street, an SL (ShitouttaLuck?) Thinking it looked nice from the street, I got a room for the night. The clerk was friendly and after signing one form, he gave me a key to room #116. He showed me a map, suggested parking and then I was on my own.

Does SL have ice machines? Vending machines? Laundry service? Free coffee and donuts? The website advertises amenities but I don't know what they are. I was issued a key and left to fend for myself. I gave up after 6 1/2 hours.

I thought the property looked nice from the exterior, but looks can be deceiving. My first
impression of the room was that is smelled bad, like stale socks and old cigarettes. (Might I suggest adding Febreeze to the cleaning routine?)

Then I noticed the the rickety looking beds. One bed had 2 flat pillows and the other had 2 lumpy misshapen pillows, and the mattresses had no padding. It was like laying on a bunch of slinkies. To top it off my bed had crumbs in it. But, not having another option, and having spent $65, I decided I'd try to make it work.

I went to turn on the a/c, and discovered the window was open, and that I couldn't completely draw the blinds; they were hung improperly, and the 2 sets of curtains didn't even match. As I sat trying to watch tv and hoping the a/c would dissipate the smell, I noticed the dollar store artwork with the frame sagging away fromt the print, and the bleached out footprint on the green carpet.

Then I tried the bathroom. The toilet didn't merely rock, it pitched to the left and damn near threw me into the tub when I sat on it. A toilet paper wrapper was thoughtfully left in my sink. Was it a welcome wagon offering from the cleaning crew or previous inhabitant?

The kitchenette was not fully stocked as per the inventory posted inside the cabinet door. I was missing the casserole, the bottle opener, the pot holder and both ash trays. Oddly enough, though you provide a coffee pot, SL is the first hotel I've stayed at that does not offer complimentary coffee packets to make use of the coffee maker. The countertop and supporting cabinet were out of square and looked like it was going to fall over.

The nightstand drawer was messed up and wouldn't close. The telephone message light blinked constantly, and the phone was all busted up. I could look through the receiver beside the buttons and see the internal wiring. The hotel and room phone numbers were not given to me. There was no alarm clock in the room and I was not offered the option of a wake up call.

I went out to get dinner and when I returned I discovered there was no place to park near my room. All the guests were assigned to the same area of the hotel, so while there was plenty of parking on the opposite side of the building, I couldn't park anywhere near my room. I had to hike across the property, alone late at night. The stroll did allow me the opportunity to notice the many vacant rooms, some without curtains at all, and the plethora of car alarms utilized by your tenants. I began to worry about the safety of the property and lay awake expecting to hear the vice squad raid the place.

When I tried to take a bath before bed, I noticed there was no tub stopper. So I pulled down the shower curtain that had been draped up into the soap dish, so that I could shower, and the shower curtain was covered in mildew. (Bleach will kill it by the way).

The room was nasty, totally unfit for habitation, and you should be ashamed that you offer such accommodations. Who in their right mind would want an extended stay with you? There is no security; hell the office didn't even stay open, as I discovered when I decided to leave at 2 a.m. and take my chances in my new place despite the lack of electricity. There wasn't even a number I was given to call if I did experience a problem.

The door didn't have a chain lock, just the one lock operated by the door key, although I could see the screw holes where the lock used to be. Thieves, rapists and serial killers the world over thank you for making it that much easier to break into my room at night.

The office was, of course, closed when I tried to check out. The clerk wasn't stupid and knew better than to stick around. You didn't have a drop box for the key. I returned at 6:00 and the office still wasn't open so I could check out. I eventually got someone on the phone later this morning, and they told me there was no need to return the key because it is disposable. Sure would have been nice to know when I checked in.

The state of this property is deplorable. Perhaps everyone was assigned to the same side of the hotel because they wanted to give us all the nicer rooms. Maybe I was assigned such a crappy room because I only intended to stay 1 night and the classy rooms shown are your website are reserved for your extended guests. I don't know and I don't care. But I do expect you to refund my money. And you can expect to hear from other disgruntled customers as I saw 2 other rooms clear out between 1:30 and 2:00.

You cannot expect people to be satisfied with such substandard service. I do not want a credit or voucher for a future stay with your hotel, as I can assure you there will not be one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home