Nasty Little Thoughts

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Oops...I did it again.

About 3 years ago, I woke up to the phone ringing. My aunt was calling to tell me that my cousin had been run over and she didn't think he'd make it. She couldn't really give me any information but apparently the girlfriend had run over his head a couple of times. By accident.

HUH?

It was a long, stressful day at work as I waited to hear if my cousin would live or die and as I hoped for answers to questions like, Is the bitch in jail? How do you run someone over twice by accident? and Why the hell did she do it?

Bitch says she'd been out partying with my cousin who got drunk and belligerent so she was gonna leave his ass at the club. He followed and tried to get into the truck, somehow falling. She didn't see him fall and kept going. THUNK!

She wondered what that was. Did she hit something? Maybe she should go back and check it out....so she put the truck in reverse. THUNK!

Still not realizing what had happened she left my cousin there where he was picked up by EMS an rushed to a hospital. His skull was fractured. He lost sight in one eye and hearing in one ear.
He's 30 years old and permanently disabled. He's on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications. He's got post traumatic stress disorder and can't sleep due to the flashbacks. And to cope with it all, he drinks. Sometimes three 12-packs a day...sometimes three 20-packs.

And the Bitch? She's still on the streets, sometimes dancing in titty bars and sometimes prostituting herself to support herself and her young son.

Try as we might, we can't get her put away. Seems that it wasn't an intentional act on her part, so we can't go for attempted murder or vehicular manslaughter. The best the lawyer tells us we can hope for is that she'll be convicted of leaving the scene of an accident and failure to render aid.

The scales of justice sure as hell need to be recalibrated!

2 Comments:

  • Man, that's brutal! Can't they at least get her for "driving drunk and causing bodily harm"? I thought you were responsible for every "accident" you have if it happens while you're driving drunk! At least, that's what it says in the driver's handbook I bought yesterday . . . maybe it's just a Canadian thing? Anyway - that sucks for your cousin.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:03 AM  

  • I agree with you. The law here talks about "vehicular manslaughter", so I really don't understand why the lesser charges are being pursued.

    By Blogger TrisaTx, at 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home