Nasty Little Thoughts

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Life goes on

A lot's happened since the holidays started and my original intention was to update you all on New Year's, but my cousin got killed and my heart just hasn't been into blogging, web surfing and chatting. But life goes on and so it's time for me to get into the groove and let you all know about the holidays.

While doing a little shopping, I found a set of 12 inch talking comedian dolls from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, my brother's favorite show in the world. I am now hosting Jeff Foxworthy and Ron White as they await shipment to California. For some reason, the store did not have Larry the Cable Guy and now I am on a mission to complete the trio. My brother, believe it or not, wants to decorate his living room in a Blue Collar Comedy Tour theme. You know, you might be a redneck if your brother decorates his house with comedian action figures.

Speaking of my brother, through the miracle of myspace, he has been reunited with Roxy, who hasn't seen her dad in about 5 years. Many thanks to my step-neice and nephew for nagging him into doing the right thing!

My uncle's sister visited from Pennsylvania, and she kept putting the moves on Hippie. She's almost 70, still thin, and has a perpetual Joker's smile. She's also extremely competitive, put together a dozen puzzles during her stay, and kept kicking my ass in Scrabble.

My sister's boyfriend, whom we affectionately call Spiderman because of his uncanny resemblance to Toby Maguire, made his first housecall to meet my brother's second daughter Moxie, who has recently become a woman. She went from stinky, sweaty, gap toothed tomboy to quiet, prissy, purse weilding young lady in the blink of an eye. (She and Roxy could be twins, well, except they have different mommas, different yese and are 3 years apart in age.) Moxie's mom is apparently intimidated by the increased levels of estrogen, and moved the youngest child into her bedroom, giving Moxie a space of her own.

My cousin Mark took his brother and I aside at Christmas dinner and told us that this was his last Christmas to spend with the family. (Ironic, isn't it?) He had the misfortune of having some not so nice words immortalized on audio tape, which resulted in harassment charges from the ex-girlfriend and revocation of his probation. He fully expected to be arrested and sent away for 10 years.

My aunt led the children in an impromptu, a capella sing along underneath the Christmas tree, including the Christmas classics "Jingle Bells", "Away in a Manger", and "Amazing Grace"? JR performed his bit from the church's Christmas play, "Jesus was in the Old Testament." (Have I ever mentioned that I think my family is part of a fundamentalist cult? No Kool-aid for me, thanks.)

And then came New Year's Day, which pretty much knocked the wind out of our collective sails. My uncle has now buried 2 of his children. JR is without a dad. His mostly absentee mom is the sole parent. (Is it even possible to battle her for custody?)

Yet another holiday has become a shitty reminder of something bad instead of a joyous celebration. My grandmother was buried the day before Thanksgiving. Two years later, my grandfather was buried a week before Christmas. A few years ago, one of my students was killed in a car accident on December 14. He was only 3. The day of his funeral, my house was burglarized. And now, as we ring in each new year, we can remember murder.

Kitkat, has been arrested and is still in jail despite a measley 30 thousand dollar bond. She will be arraigned in a couple of weeks, and the family will be in attendance. My sister wants to personally hear the bitch admit she did it. I'll probably skip that one and show up for the sentencing. I do want to hear, "Guilty as charged. Lock her up and throw away the key." I don't think she'll be up for the death penalty though because I don't think she'll get murder 1.

JR is now back in school, with a lot of support from his teacher, principal, counselor and of course Aunt Trisa who tutors on Thursday nights.

I'm back to work and have been accepted into the writing program. Long Ridge feels I have the potential to write for publication! My friend Brandy nominated me for a Bloggie. Toe Boy has decided that Susie, Heather and I can handle his official internet sites, yahoo groups, etc.

I also am planning to expand my blogging efforts. I've often wondered just how much do I read in a year's time. So coming soon, I'll have a separate blog where you can see what I've been reading and my own personal reviews. I hope you'll stop by the reading room, and continue to check out all my Nasty Little Thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home