Nasty Little Thoughts

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Birthday Blues

When my birthday came in September 2001, I was newly with the Ex, and he was still trying to impress me every so often. He picked me up after work and wisked me off to his apartment where he picked up a blanket, a cooler, champagne and glasses.

Thinking he was going to surprise me with a picnic dinner, I was a little confused when he took me to Logan's Roadhouse. But dinner was great, and thinking ahead to the picnic, I wanted to save room, so I only ate half my food and had the rest packed in a to go box.

I was anxious to get to the surprise part of the evening, but the Ex wasn't ready yet. He asked me, "What movie do you want to see?"

I love scary movies. They don't usually scare me, but I love to dare the movie industry to scare me. "Well, I'd like to see 'Jeepers Creepers', but I know you won't like it," I answered.

He whipped a movie printout from his back pocket (you can't say my one-time-honey wasn't a prepared little boyscout). He seemed troubled by what he read, but agreed to see the movie since it was my birthday. To this day I haven't lived it down.

'Jeepers Creepers' is quite possibly the worst movie released in 2001. The Ex was excited at the beginning and thought it had a good suspenseful start. But at some point in every monster movie the actual monster has to appear. And from that moment on, the movie tanked. I lost movie choosing privileges for quite a while after the 'Jeepers Creepers' fiasco.

Once we left the theater, the Ex pulled a card out of his glove box. It was a comical birthday card featuring an orange cat (No, it wasn't Garfield). And he'd signed it "Love, the Ex". I was on cloud 9, 10, and 11; he'd written the L-word!

"Where are we going?" I asked, wondering if we were ever gonna get to the champagne and blanket.

"To the park by Transco Tower, where the water wall is."

We drove into town, but couldn't get within 3 blocks of the Transco Tower, Houston's tallest building. It was late September 2001, and fear of terrorism had the city locked up tight. "Shit!" was the Ex's response, as he turned around and headed back to the apartment. (He had no back up plan, and no other park was going to do.)

When we got to his place, I felt bad for him, and really disappointed that his first (and only) really romantic gesture was a flop. He locked himself in the bathroom and I went to work. I teach preschool and know a thing or two about setting up a dramatic play area and am an expert in the finer arts of Let's Pretend.

I got the forest green comforter off his bed and spread it on the living room floor. I placed the cooler containing the champagne and glasses in one corner kind of at an angle so it wouldn't get in the way. I turned out all the lights except the halogen floor lamp, which I had barely glowing.

When He came out of the bathroom, I was kneeling in my homemade park. "Look, honey..." I tried to explain, but he stared at me like I was a loon. "See, it's green like the grass and we've got mooonlight over there. We can picnic right here."

"It isn't the same," he grumbled.

I'm not sure if it was fear of failure, or what, but every year after that the Ex had to work on my birthday, and we'd celebrate it late. September 21 gives him the birthday blues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home